Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sachin – The only thing constant in this ever changing world.


“I want my son to become Sachin Tendulkar.” – Brian Lara (West Indies)
“We did not lose to a team called India. We lost to a man called Sachin.” – Mark Taylor (Australia)
“There are 2 kind of batsman in the world. 1 Sachin Tendulkar and 1 all the others” – Andy Flower (Zimbabwe)
“I have seen God. He bats at No. 4 for India in tests.” – Matthew Hayden (Australia)
“I see myself when I see Sachin batting.” – Don Bradman (Australia)
That’s the kind of respect he commands.
He creates a positive vibe whenever he walks into the field.
And when he plays, nothing but there is class stamped all over it.
Fantastic would be an understatement when you see him play.
He is not only a brand but an iconic brand that has attained divinity.
Millions of cricket lovers around the globe and even those who don’t know much about cricket can’t withstand anything less than a Century from this master player.
The ruthlessness and efficiency with which he plays is really captivating. Twenty years is certainly a long time for a player and a brand.
It is his performance that reflects his resilience to remain focused and let his bat do the talking every time naysayers raised their dreaded finger on him.
But what’s even more interesting, is the story which I would like to share with you guys…

It was the month of July 1998, long time…
But the memories still young and fresh in my mind…
And we, we means I with my family were on our way to Ranchi from Jamshedpur, a 130 kms odd drive. The weather was just perfect and the drive one of the best of my life as it left behind some beautiful memories for me to cherish in a dew drop adorned green grass blades… Oh! A view from heaven. A slice of paradise!
We stopped by a roadside dhaba to refuel our stomach. As dhabas are very well known, for the time they take to prepare the orders, I decided to utilize this time
I excused myself from the family and moved to the cash counter where there were already a lot like me cricket lovers encircling a Marconi device (the radio) -
Thanks to this invention.
What’s playing out was an India Sri Lanka match… India batting second, in a bad position.
Everyone was just glued to the sound waves including me as the radio too was not in a mood to express India’s loss.
When suddenly a hand struck me from behind. I turned… A feeble old man enquired about the score.
I answered with a deep voice and the next question followed “Sachin hai na?” (Is Sachin still there?)
I replied yes
With a smile on his face he said “India jeet jayega” (India will win)
And I was dead as a Dodo!

Was that confidence?

Was that hope?

Or was it faith?

Hmm…. You know what… I think, it was all three!

No wonder we call Sachin… God!

1 comment:

  1. I am sure Satyam will come up a lot more blogs like this on cricket...why? "Sachin hai na"

    ReplyDelete